Monday, October 5, 2009

Garlic and Chicken Empañadas


Well, it sure has been a long time since I updated. I find that I have so many hobbies and past times that I really relish just sitting and relaxing when I get the chance. I've decided to sit and relax and update at the same time.

Last night, Patrick and I had a roast chicken for dinner. It wasn't a small chicken so there was plenty of leftover meat. I contemplated what to do with the leftovers - I even posted on Facebook to get people's ideas. While there were some very good ones, I went with this recipe, basically because I had the little bit of extra time required and all the ingredients on hand.

I halved the recipe, used already cooked chicken and added celery, red capsicum and raisins.

Garlic and Chicken Empañadas
(from the cookbook: International Family Favorites by Ron Kalenuik)

Crust:
1/3 cup ice cold water
1 large egg
2 tsp vinegar
3 cups flour
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup cold butter
1/3 cup cold shortening (lard)
1 tsp salt
2 egg whites

Filling:
3 Tbsp butter
1 large Spanish onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp each of allspice, cinnamon, cloves
1 Tbsp salt
1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken, coarsely diced
2 tsp oregano

Blend water, egg and vinegar together. Place the flour and galric in a mixing bowl. Cut in the butter and shortening. Add the salt. Blend in the liquid. Blend the dough until a coarse mixture is formed.

Heat 3 T butter in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until tender. Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Preheat oven to 425°F.

Roll the pastry out on a floured surface. Cut into 2" rounds. Place 1 Tbsp of the filling on each round. Fold the round in half and crimp the edges to seal. Brush the pastry with the egg whites. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield-16

0 comments: